June 10, 2012

Elder Varela

I didn't tell you his name because I hadn't gotten him yet. I actually wrote that last letter while in a threesome with the Elders from Violetas (Two rather friendly guys, Elder Guzman and Elder Maldonado, if you have to ask). Elder Varela is my second child in the mission. He is from Honduras (which I didn't know until I met him - Dang Elder Garcia lied to me) and he's a good kid. He had a REALLY good time in the MTC and he just wants to do the right thing. He's not the clearest of teachers, nor is he the most of assertive of personalities, but with the Holy Ghost's help, he's gonna be a fine missionary. My job is to teach him English.


See, the mission has this really big focuse on Spanish speakers learning English. I think it comes from the First Presidency. So every Spanish speaker gets handed a packet of English where they learn to say things like,"Good Morning, Bishop" and I have to somehow take that and their complete inability to differentiate between t's and d's and somehow make them fluent English speakers. I actually love it. It's so fun to be walking in the rain and then hear from someplace behind a very poorly pronounced version of, "I Know that My Redeemer Lives," which is Elder Varela's favorite hymn. He's awesome. 

Anyway, this week, we put a baptismal date with Navith, Itamar's fourteen year old cousin. She's a little hippie-ish (she greets me with peace signs and listens to Bob Marley and wears peace and love shirts), but she's pretty excited about the Gospel  these days. I think we are just gonna baptize that family one by one. Next up: Saul, the sixteen year old brother of Itamar who just needs to stop taking tests and then he'll be as good as gold. I hope. Lots of hope these days around here. I like it. I just hope that I have enough hope for the bathroom. It's disgusting in there. Got to clean it.

Anyways, I don't have any hugely funny or spiritual stories this week for you. I did manage to convince our ward mission leader to finally put in his papers. He's pretty excited to go serve a mission these days. I've got the real transfers coming up next Monday, so I'll let you know what happens. I'm pretty sure Elder Varela and I are staying put. Remember: I want Kumi Greenhalgh's and Mary's email addresses in order to be able to thank them for boxes and letters. Love you all. Hope it's all swell for summer. I love summer. I miss minnesota summers. Although here in oaxaca, summer is the rainy season, which I also love, so life is just good all around.

Love,
Elder Johnson


No comments:

Post a Comment