March 10, 2013

MISSION WAVE

Dear Mom,

The mission wave hasn't quite hit us yet. They are not dividing or splitting or changing the Oaxaca mission, as they are with practically every other mission in Mexico. We only received six new missionaries last transfer. Things are calm and normal so far. The only thing that might be a little different is that of those six new missionaries, five were girls. But I expect that to change soon. They've told me that within a year, Oaxaca could have as much as 300 missionaries. Right now, we are at about 190 and for my entire mission until this point, 200 was the max. So we should start getting a ton of new missionaries right about the time that I start being an old missionary (ugh). Where I've really seen the mission wave is in the emails I receive from my friends. Both Brianna Cragun and Stacie Christiensen emailed me this week to tell me that they got their respective mission calls (Brianna to Russia and Stacie to Brasil). I'm a little sad because I think I'm gonna miss most of the fun times, when there are a ton of missionaries and the work is just exploding. OH well, I'll just content myself with preparing the soil :)

And boy, do I have a lot of work to do. Right now, we have to change everything about the mission work in Oaxaca so that the wards and branches and stakes are ready for all the new missionaries. We have to start having functioning meetings with the Bishop, have to start teaching the members how to do their part of the mission work, have to start activating all inactive priesthood, etc. We have a lot of work to do. Essentially, we have to change the Oaxaquen culture. It's quite a job and I need to get better at it.

We did a good job this week though. I got to do divisions with a former a assistant and he taught me a lot about how to work with the members. We're trying really, really hard right now to achieve our norms of excellence and we should be doing it this week, I think. WE won't be having a baptism though. =========== had to change her baptismal date to the next week so that she could get confirmed on that Sunday instead of waiting a week. I had forgotten about stake conference when I put that date. Ooops. The zone leaders came all the way up here to do the interview (3 hour drive) too. I feel pretty bad about that waste of time. Totally my bad. But, on the bright side, ============= finally told her dad about her baptism and while he was initially upset about it, he softened up when she invited him and now he says that he's going to go. I'm not sure, but I feel a family miracle coming on here. I'm soooo happy about it!

I got my haircut today and the haircut lady put gel in my hair. I hate gel. Called me old fashioned, but I hate it. It's not my style at all. 

Well, we've got some appointments to go to right now. I'm hoping to find a new investigator today and put a baptismal date! Let's hope it's possible! 

Love you all! See you in 2 years!
Love,
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment