July 7, 2013

Well, I'm Old



I turn 23 months old on Wednesday. People can sniff my oldness. I don't know what to do about it. I have no future in the mission. Life is weird. But it goes on. Honestly, not much has happened for me. Carlos got confirmed, we have a little girl that should get baptized soon, my comp, Elder Price, threw up for the first time in his mission on Thursday, we still need new investigators, and we played a sweet game of pickup basketball with  some random old guys today at the Deportiva. That's pretty much my life right now. I don't know why I don't have much to report on today. I feel like more things should be happening, but they aren't. I guess I'm all calm now after Taggart's wedding too.

So, I guess I'll fill up space by helping you with your talk/lesson. First advice: Look up things by President Monson. If anybody has the right idea of what duty is and means, it is the prophet. I can remember several wonderful talks by him on the subject. He will be a much better source than I am. Anyways, personally, I feel like duty is an underrated topic. It takes a truly great man or woman to accept the unglorifying nature of duty. Duty to me is what is expected of you. If you do it, you will not receive praise or adulation. You will be doing it just because, well, it's your duty. Many people have other motives for their actions: success, glory, praise, acceptance. Duty brings none of that. In fact, the only thing I know about duty is that you will be reprimanded for failing to fulfill it. But, in and of itself, duty is a great thing. I think it is best captured by a piece dad sent me. It is the story of a young soldier who, during a battle, asks permission from his officer to go rescue a wounded friend. The officer grants it, but says "There's no point. He is already dead and you most likely will to if you go." Regardless, the young man goes and rescues his friend. By the time he makes it back to his commanding officer, his friend had already died and he was badly wounded. The officer says, "I told you there was no point in going." The young man replies, "There was a point. When I got there, my friend looked at me and said, 'I knew you would come for me.`"

That's duty to me. I love it, I need to learn how to do it more. You just do what you are supposed to do. It has a lot to do with the principle of self-discipline, which I lack. But, you got to love it :)
Anyways, I've got to get going. I'll see you soon!
Love,
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment