May 12, 2013

Cockroach Killer


So I've invented a fun sport that only involves two people. First, let me explain why this is necessary: I am in Huajuapan. Huajuapan is far away from everything. So I do not have the luxury of being able to play basketball or soccer with other missionaries on Mondays. And, considering that there is only one young man, I can't really play basketball or soccer with them either. I am without sports. And I miss sports. So, the Cockroach killing competition has been created! Every night, hundreds of nocturnal cockroaches invade our patio and the game is that each missionary gets one long, skinny pole as his weapon. He then has fifteen minutes to kill as many cockroaches as he can. The one who kills the most gets to take a cold shower first. It's a great game.

I should mention, by the way, that I have officially received word that Huajuapan 2 is going to opened in this next transfer (i.e. next week). That means I'm going to be living in a house of four again and that my district is going to be bigger. Also, it means that almost certainly I am going to stay in Huajuapan next transfer. I am really beginning to think that I might end my mission here. It is very possible.

AS far as this week goes, there's not much to report. It was kind of a tough week. We spent four out of seven days in the house because Elder Babb got some type of Laryngitis (a throat infection, because I think I spelled "laryngitis" wrong). I got bored, Elder babb got better, and we are out and about today. it's a good thing. I'm looking forward to putting a baptismal date with rolando and his family this week. It's kind of my goal. I love it when I am teaching complete families. Everything seems brighter. The family is the goal of the gospel and this is one special family. I feel like we are doing good there. So I'm pretty excited.

I'm also happy to hear about Tyrel's progress. It'll be nice to get the happier, more tolerant version of Tyrel when I get back. That's the one I remember the best anyway. I'm also excited for Taggart's wedding. I'm betting he chose the temple. Happy anniversary and I hope you know how much I appreciate your thirty years of marriage. In this world, it's really quite remarkable that a couple can stay together for thirty years. The stability it has provided me has allowed me to escape most of the emotion damages that afflict other adolescents. That's a big blessing. I've never had to ponder divorce, or witness horrific fights, or believe that an eternal marriage is impossible. Also, you two have been a great example for me. Service towards each other, genuine love, patience, understanding, tolerance of faults, and selflessness are some of the things I've learned from you. So thank you very much for that.

Anyways, I've got to get going, but I love you both and I love you all. I'll see you in 2 years!
Love,
Elder Johnson
P.S. To what mission specifically is Ellen going? I bet I have a friend or two that's there right now. Or that's already come back (wow). Tell her I'm proud of her and that this will be a great decision that will change the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment